Angela is a media legal and business affairs consultant. Having trained in the legal profession she worked at the BBC, UKTV as head of scripted at Compact Business Affairs (formerly Rights TV) and as senior legal counsel at Avalon Television before setting up her own consultancy firm.
Read on to discover why she is a leader…
Country of birth:
The African countries you have visited:
Languages spoken, African dialects spoken or understood:
Igbo (eastern Nigerian native language), basic level French
Your family background:
I'm the second of four children from a family of two sisters and two brothers.
Tell us something about your leadership roles (employed and voluntary):
I'm currently responsible for negotiating agreements with creative individuals such as writers and actors, with broadcasters and financiers of TV programmes. In the past I have been head of a department and managed a team of senior lawyers.
What recent (in the last 3 years) achievement are you proud of and why (give an example of positive impact you have made in the diaspora and/or on the continent):
Leaving a role, I was happy in for pastures new to a role, which was totally different in every way to the previous role. It required me to think and operate differently and it really tested my abilities. It has since led to even more opportunities. I have used my role and experience to mentor young lawyers when I come across them and advise them about their potential career choices in the legal profession.
Words of advice to young leaders (age five-eleven) in the African Diaspora:
- Work hard at school it really pays off in the future. You are only there for a short time in the grand scheme of life yet the choice you make then can have a lasting impact.
- Have a vision about who you want to be and surround yourself with people who think positively. Include in your vision images or experiences connected to your future goals and put it on your wall.
- Read articles about individuals fulfilling the role/s that interest you. Find out how they made it and be determined.
- Have the belief and mindset that 'You can do anything you put your mind to.'
- I always wanted to be a lawyer and I kept that picture in my head and today I am a lawyer. Anything is possible!